Sunday, January 03, 2010

Hair reflections....

We stayed with Mom and Dad all week from Christmas to Jan 3rd. Mom had finished up her first cycle of chemo about 2 weeks prior... so I knew what was gonna happen this week... the hair. Yep... the hair. I so remember this week in my own history. The Hair... EVERYWHERE... kinda funny at first, as it doesn't stop... then not as funny... then VERY Annoying... then, when it's about done and the reflection of the mirror doesn't look anything like it did before... Then, it's a bit more sobering. THEN... it becomes Reality. Even though people all "KNOW" that you are getting chemo, and people "KNOW" you have Cancer... it's not REAL for them either... until the HAIR. Then, it's no longer a topic of conversation that is avoidable. No longer avoidable with friends... but more importantly... no longer a topic that is avoidable with STRANGERS... like at Walmart, Chili's, Walgreens!! The daily reminder in the mirror, regardless of how you feel, seems like it just weighs on you. Unfortunately, there's not really anything "FUN" about it, other than getting to try on new hats, and scarfs, and other possibilities. So... this was Mom's week, and she did SO GOOD!! I remember seeing pictures of myself (5 years later) when I was the Sickest, and asking Chris HOW he could have looked at me, and not been DISGUSTED!! He told me that, he saw ME, the same Beautiful ME that he had always seen! And... I never quite understood that... until Mom's hair fell out. I really don't SEE her any different... she's still my Mom. She's still Beautiful! Her eyes still shine Brightly, and her smile so sweet. I love her dearly, and certainly never expected nor hoped that this week would happen to her... Colossians 1: 16-17 - For by Him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by Him and for Him. 17He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. Lord, we are your Creation. HALLOWED be Your Name before ALL the nations, and All the People. Thank you for being BEFORE all things, all situations, all issues, all problems, all disasters, all elections, all diseases, all CT SCANS, all Chemo treatments, all thoughts, all hearts, all........ Lord, Hold us together.

1 comment:

The Feasters said...

Thanks for sharing this Beverly. What a blessed family you have... an amazing husband that sees your true beauty and expresses it so eloquently and you, such a caring, selfless daughter who gave so much to just "be there" and experience (and re-experience) this battle with her mother.